Lab 1: Workflow, Thonny and Python
Be a good partner
Throughout today's lab (and our remaining labs), you will work with a partner. Typically, you and your partner would share the keyboard, swapping it back and forth. Since we are starting remote this semester, you'll alternate sharing screens in a breakout room in zoom. You will ask each other questions and offer each other support. Your job is to make sure that you both understand something before moving on.
High-level overview of today's lab
In today's lab you will:
- Learn how to use Thonny, which is the program we'll use this semester to edit our code.
- Practice submitting a problem set, using the Potluck server.
- Review programming basics from lecture and write your first program.
- Write some simple programs that draw pictures and create music.
- If there's extra time, you'll have a chance to dig into either drawing or music a bit more.
Ready? Let's grab the starter code for today's lab
Click on this link to download the code for today.
Wait, first you need a
cs111 folder on your Desktop
This will help you keep all your 111 files in the same place all semester.
This video shows how to create a 111 folder on your Desktop and then download the lab01 folder and move it into your 111 folder. It also shows downloading the starter pset folders from potluck and how to create a ps01 folder in your cs111 folder to store all your ps01 code.
Table of Contents
- Lab 1 Home
- Part 1: Thonny intro
- Part 2: How to work on psets
- Part 3: Your first program
- Part 4: Pictures and sounds
- Part 5A: Turtle graphics
- Part 5B: Wavesynth sounds
- Part 6: Save your work