Lecture 2: Introduction to Python
PDF files of the lecture slides handouts.
Here are some materials we will use to explain Codder:
- Lab 1, Part 3, Task C (OPTIONAL) Draw a box around TWO user inputs
- Output of Codder on incomplete program
- Output of Codder on buggy program
- Output of Codder on correct program
These suggested readings are important because they explain the terminology used in our lectures and labs. They also talk about common practices such as debugging, how to name variables, or the difference between interactive and script mode in Python.
- Think Python, Ch. 1: The Way of the program
- Think Python, Ch. 2: Variables, expressions and statements
If you are someone who likes to test the vocabulary of a new knowledge domain (in this case, programming), here is an interactive page with the Think Python vocabulary on Memrise.
Click on this lec_python_intro.zip link to download the .zip file to your computer.
Unzip the downloaded
lec_python_intro.zip file (by double-clicking on it) to reveal a folder with the notebook file for this lecture and the
nameage.py Python program file shown in slide 2-25.
lec_python_intro_solns.zip link (zip file with solution notebook)